Thursday 5 March 2009

A wake up call!!

Hi, this weeks been a busy week but not in the normal sense, last weekend I had severe chest pains and eventually visited the doctors on Monday night only to be told I have to go straight to A&E.

Once in A&E I was hooked up to an ECG and several syringe fulls of blood were taken away. Whilst waiting for the results to come back I was informed I'm now in the "high risk" category now that I'm 43 (I'd forgot I was 43, my brain doesn't think I'm that old). Anyway while waiting you start to imagine all sorts of things that could be wrong and you become a bit anxious, however around midnight they advise that my heart was in good condition but they didn't know what was actually causing the chest pains so i would have to stay in hospital.

I was admitted to the medical assessment unit for more tests. the next day results started to come in and the consultant visited me. The outcome was inflammation of the chest wall - whatever that means. They also found out I had a raised cholesterol reading of 6.2. I didn't think that was too bad, I know it's high but not as high as most peoples I know.

When you are lay there on the bed you have some time to think - What if this was my heart, what if this was more serious. At home the kids had been waiting for some response from Jackie so that they could all go to sleep, they had stayed up, waiting for some news. I was so glad that I was deemed healthy, so glad to be going home. I need to rest, I need to get rid of the pain, I need to take my tablets. I'll be using the rest of the week to read, paint and sleep.

This is a wake up call and in future I'll be making sure there is time for resting and recharging my batteries.

No comments: