Tuesday 9 December 2008

Ben - The Diary of a Drug Addict 2

Did you watch it? Harrowing wasn't it? If you missed it check out Sky listings they usually repeat loads of programmes.

It made me feel both sick and upsetting to watch Ben inject himself in the groin, to see his family suffering and to see Ben suffering the effects of heroin, 2 min's into the fix and then 20 minutes into the fix. This program should be watched by all young people to show them the effects of drugs on their lives and those around them.
Ben seemed such a nice person, well thought of and loved very much, but still he turned to drugs. In my experience of drug addicts, I have known a couple, even if they want to give up they can't. Once heroin has a hold on you the only way to stop is to die. It doesn't matter how many time you detox, visit hospital with infections you will carry on. This is exactly what happened to Ben.

Heroin is evil, Ben died of a brain hemorrhage when attending hospital to try and detox at the age of 34. Ben tried to detox several times and always returned to heroin. Half his life was spent taking drugs.

The programme was very moving, to watch unconditional love for a child even though he was an addict and caused problems at every family event - Christmas and birthdays all ended up with Ben issues. His father was devastated and could not bare to see Ben as this ill, dying, drug addict. His father even took Ben to by drugs.

I'm not sure how I would react to my child being involved in drugs and ending up like Ben - would I purchase drugs for my child? I'd say no now but when they are in so much pain , loosing it, manipulating every situation, pulling on our heart strings I know I would have to help ease the suffering.

Love the addict not the addiction.

No comments: