Tuesday 9 December 2008

Advent Commitment - Updates

You will remember from a previous post I was talking about commitment through Advent - doing something that you would not normally do.

Homeless Shoebox Appeal - Update

I have 8 shoeboxes on the go all getting pretty full now. Members at church have been good and supplied all sorts of things, hats, scarves, small gifts, chocolates, toiletries and cup a soups. Another week or so to go and I can get them distributed. let's see if we can get some more.

Stockdales Volunteering - Update

Several people went down last week and helped brew up for the residents, the leaders were very grateful for the help and this allowed them to concentrate on the baking - those were fantastic mince pies :o)

Sponsor a child - I have been toying with this idea for a while and I have been looking for a suitable project that ticks my boxes, providing for the direct community as well as the child and allowing some interaction with the child and their family so a relationship can be established and who knows maybe more good can happen. I think I may have found the right one Action Aid http://www.actionaid.org.uk/100044/sponsor_a_child_today.html
I saw the video with Sally Whitaker (Sally from Coronation St) in on the link above and this swayed my decision, so I have sent off for some additional information. This is not commitment just for Advent but for the foreseeable future.

No comments: